Pages

Monday, 20 May 2013

Back In Action- A Fashion Design Sneak Peek



I really am ashamed at how long it's been since my last blog post! I've felt terrible about neglecting my little blog for such a long time, but college really has taken over my life during the past few months. Thankfully, summer is here at last so I'll have a lot more free time to get back into the swing of things as far as my blog is concerned. I thought I'd quickly fill you in on what I've been up to with college work, so that maybe you'll have a better understanding of why I've been M.I.A for what seems like forever!
So firstly, I am officially a Fashion Design student at Limerick School of Art and Design! It was a massive achievement for me to be accepted into the course, as it's hugely competitive  and there was a great deal of students who didn't manage to get in. I had to do an extremely intensive two week design project to compete for my place, which had me working consistently from the crack of dawn until all hours of the night...We were all a bit loopy by the end of it, I won't lie!
Since being accepted into the course, I've been working on fabric manipulation projects, researching an endless list of fabulous designers, and most recently, working on the design of my very first skirt! It was quite a long process to get the finished result(don't worry, I won't bore you with all the details), but basically, I had to produce a fabric board, a mood board, and an illustration board which would help me to make my skirt. Here's what I came up with!
The brief asked that the project stick to a black and white colour palette, and my particular project was inspired by ruins and decrepit, run down buildings. I used an irregular, messy brickwork pattern for my skirt which I machine stitched all over my chosen fabric. Obviously, it's not your everyday kinda skirt..No doubt, it will hang in my wardrobe untouched forever more haha! Anyway, I was pleased with the results considering I've never made any type of proper garment before now. Here's a look at the front back and sides :) Oh, and apologies for the poor quality photos...my DSLR went walkabout just when I needed it!

Hopefully I can make some slightly more wearable clothes for myself now that I've figured out how to use the sewing machine without stabbing myself with the needle! Fingers crossed :)



1 comment:

  1. This looks very Lady Ga Ga Esq - welcome back!

    Now following you on GFC and would be great to get a follow back, if you would like to follow each other? :)

    Be great if you could check out my latest post where you can win a $30 voucher for Chicnova! Street Style Black & White Stripes

    Thanks! Charlie xx

    UK Fashion & Style Blog | Lurch Hound Loves

    ReplyDelete