Pages

Saturday, 21 July 2012

The Museum of Style Icons

So yesterday my mam and I made a visit to the incredible Museum of Style Icons. The museum is an absolute must see for any old Hollywood movie lovers, and fashion lovers for that matter! Every corner you turn, you're greeted by the most breathtaking garments, worn by the world's most iconic film stars- Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Grace Kelly, Bette Davis, Greta Garbo, VivienLeigh- the list is endless! 
And it's not just dedicated to movie stars either, you've got some of Lady Diana's most memorable outfits (including the famous "revenge" dress she wore the day after Prince Charles admitted to having an affair), and there's a huuuuge collection of Micheal Jackson memorabilia. This in itself is enough reason to visit the museum, but as I'm not the biggest MJ fan, I found myself being rather distracted by other things, such as a pair of gloves worn by Clark Gable in Gone With The Wind- ahhhh how amazing is that? That's some serious Hollywood history right there! And Clark Gable??!! Mmmmmm.... 

Oops, did I just get distracted again?


I visited the museum once before a couple of years ago, so I was already familiar with what was on display. Knowing this, I was super excited this time round to see Marilyn Monroe's collection- who wouldn't be! Unfortunately, I ended up being rather disappointed, as the majority of the stuff I'd seen the first time seemed to have vanished. Originally, there had been a massive collection of her personal belongings- hand written letters, furniture, photos, clothing, make up, even hair pins! I realise now that all those items must have been on loan for a short time, which makes me all the more grateful that I ever got to see them in the first place! Thankfully, there's still some beautiful clothing belonging to Marilyn to drool over, including this drop dead gorgeous Pucci dress. Wowza.


As you can see from the picture above, there's some spectacular film costumes to be seen, like this incredible dress worn by Bette Davis for her role as Queen Elizabeth. Not her best look, but hey, you can't win 'em all! What I really love about this particular museum is that it's filled with enormous background pictures of the stars actually wearing the garments on display. It makes the experience that much more exciting!







In addition to all the fabulous clothing, there's also a beautiful collection of original fashion illustrations and costume designs from movies. There's even designs drawn up for Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina, but I was too damn short to reach up and get a picture of them! I knew I should have worn heels...


                              


If I was let down by Marilyn's memorabilia, Audrey's made up for it 100%! Oh. My. God. I can't even deal with how incredible all of it was!! I definitely let out a little squeal when I came across the vespa that Audrey and Gregory Peck rode on in that iconic scene from Roman Holiday. Unbelievable! Oh, but there's more. I didn't think it could get any better when I saw those amazing outfits from Charade. Then I turned the corner... Helloooo Breakfast at Tiffanys. Not only did they have the beeeautiful pink party dress she wore in the movie, but they had THE necklace! THE necklace that was the icing on top of the delicious cake that is one of the most iconic film costumes in the history of film. The ultimate accessory to the very first little black dress that was to influence women for generations to come! 
I'm sorry, am I rambling? I just cannot get over how brilliant it is to have a piece of something sooooo famous and influential right on my doorstep! 

Overall, I had a pretty perfect day with my mama. And to top it all off we went for the yummiest meal I've had in a long, long time. If you're feeling peckish I'd advise you not to look at these next pictures, as you will hate me for it. Nom.










1 comment: