Pages

Thursday, 24 May 2012

Make Up Time!

My sister has been begging me to do a blog post on my make up routine for a while now, so I thought it was about time I obliged. I don't claim to know all that much about make up, all I know is what works for me..and well, isn't that enough really? Fortunately, what works for me is bound to work for many girls out there as I have a face that's pretty standard when it comes to applying make up- a pale complexion with a few blemishes here and there (we're not perfect after all!). So here's my regular make up of the day!


I would normally start my make up routine by applying a good primer as a base for my foundation, but sadly my current finances have made that impossible right now.That's student life for you! But I can promise you as soon as my first pay cheque arrives I will be rushing to the nearest Benefit counter I can find to pick up their That Gal primer which is simply amazing. A lot of people question whether or not primer is really a necessity when it comes to make up application. Personally, I think it's more of a luxury- you can go without it, but you'll definitely notice a more flawless finish with it.

Anyway, enough about the primer, we haven't even got to the foundation yet and I'm already rambling! In the past, I tended to opt for a stick foundation (Benefit and Bobbi Brown do fantastic ones), but over the past few months I've noticed my skin becoming a little dry so I thought a liquid foundation would be more suitable for me- the stick can be difficult to blend in to your skin when it's dry. Right now I'm using MAC's Studio Fix Fluid, and honestly, after buying it I don't think I'll ever use another foundation again. It's AMAZING! The colour is NC15 and it's the perfect match for my skin tone. It feels incredibly light on your skin and it won't clog up your pores, and because it's slightly matte you don't need to use too much powder afterwards...Bonus! 
Next, I use Benefit's Erase Paste in No. 1 Fair to hide any spots and blemishes I might have. Not only is this the best concealer I've ever used, it's the best beauty product I have ever owned in my life! You only need the tiniest dot of concealer to cover a blemish which means that it lasts forever. Well, maybe not forever, but I've used this product almost everyday for three years and it's not even nearly empty!


I don't like any shine on my face so I'll always set my foundation off with a touch of powder. At the moment I'm using Benefit's Hello Flawless in Ivory (I'm a Benefit junkie, I know!). It's actually a powder foundation so it's a little heavier than what I need now that I'm using my wonderful new MAC foundation. However, it's still a great product as you can wear it alone if you want to keep your make up minimal, and like most Benefit products, it lasts a lifetime!


For my cheeks, I swear by Bobbi Brown's cream blusher. I wear it in Powder Pink, which is a lovely natural pink colour. I think buying a cream blusher gets you a lot more value for your money as it can be used on your lips too. I even put some on my eyelids for a pop of colour if I'm in a rush!


And now, onto the eyes! First of all, I like to fill in my eyebrows with Brow Zing by Benefit. This brow shaping kit comes with wax, powder and a mini set of tweezers. I've had this product for around 3 years but to be honest, when it's used up I won't be buying another expensive eyebrow product- as long as your brows are well groomed, any cheap eyebrow pencil should be able to outline and fill in the shape reasonably well!
Next, I apply my eye shadow. This varies from day to day, but I usually wear either MAC or Urban Decay. For daytime I prefer to use more subtle colours like gold,copper or a light pink. Today I'm using Urban Decay's Maui Wowie all over my lids, with a touch of Last Call on the outer corner of my eyes (also by Urban Decay). I tend to try out different mascaras all the time, so right now I'm testing Thick & Fast Super Volume Mascara by Soap and Glory. I actually got this free in a magazine so my I wasn't expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of it! 


Usually I'll wear liquid eye liner during the day. I don't think you necessarily need an expensive product to achieve a good line, as long as you're accurate when applying your liner. I got MAC's Penultimate Eye Liner in Rapid Black for Christmas this year, and so far I've been very pleased with the results! And, it's a pen liner which makes it a lot easier to apply than your ordinary eye liner. 


As a last touch to my eye make up, I like to dab a dot of Benefit's High Beam in the corner of my eyes. The product actually says that this should be used on your cheeks and brow bones for a "healthy glow", but I find that it really makes your eyes pop if applied in the corners.


And finally, the lips! I own a quite a few MAC lippies, but right now I'm obsessed with a little Benefit beauty (surprise surprise!) I got in one of their make up kits. It's called Ladies Choice and it's a gorgeous dark pink/nude colour with a creamy texture that feels just wonderful on your lips. 


So there you have it! My daily make up routine in (probably a little too much) detail. But it wouldn't be me if I didn't ramble at least a little bit now would it?

1 comment:

  1. “...I don't think you necessarily need an expensive product to achieve a good line” – I agree! It's worth wouldn't matter if you don't know how to apply it properly. Although this does not mean that we have to go for cheaper ones all the time because there are instances that cheap products can harm our skin. By the way, I think this makeup could be great for everyday use.

    Beulah May @Bernards Salon And Spa

    ReplyDelete